Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Slow Down


The above photo was shot through a jeep window. The girl on the left is my wife Jessica, and the girl on the right is my sister Jenee.

I've decided to slow down. In a certain way, I've decided to give up. I've been fighting for the last year. Fighting for time, always to be discouraged, because there wasn't enough. There will never be enough, so I decided to stop trying and just slow down for a while; let things happen naturally. Soon after deciding that, I found myself enjoying things more, because I wasn't worried about what I could be doing. The little times I have for art seem more potent, because I'm not competing with life itself.

In the words of James Murphy:

"You got to give it up--if you want to live it up."

Except he was talking about money, but I think it still applies.

I'm still creating things, but I'm not letting it stop me from spending time with people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good advice man. T.S. Eliot thought the same thing. At the end of "Burnt Norton" he writes:

Desire itself is movement
Not in itself desirable;
Love itself in unmoving,
Only the cause and end of movement,
Timeless and undesiring
Except in the aspect of time
Caught in the form of limitation
Between un-being and being
Sudden in a shaft of light
Even while the dust moves
There rises the hidden laughter
Of children in the foliage
Quick now, here, now, always-
Ridiculous the waste sad time
Stretching before and after.