Friday, June 15, 2007

Back and Forth

I'm confused. To explain in the simplest of terms:

Two years ago, I met a guy in the streets and I gave him money, because he asked. I knew he could be scamming me (he didn't look homeless or drug-addicted), but I felt led to actually give it to him, even if he wasn't being honest.

That was two years ago, but last night, I was eating dinner with some friends and I shared the story.

And today, about 20 minutes ago, I was in the RISD store buying envelopes whilst talking on the phone with my mom when I sensed someone walking behind me. I stepped aside to let them pass. When the guy passed me, he turned towards me and told me something like "I was trying to get your attention."

I was a little thrown off, because of the all the multi-tasking, so I said, "Oh, well I'm on the phone, could I talk to you in a second?" He nodded and walked away. After I got off the phone, I couldn't find him anywhere!

What's going on? Why, after two years, did this man reappear the day after I told the story about him? I don't even know his name.

3 comments:

Ricky said...

I just wanted to say that i like your thoughts tom....

I like to read them.

Thanks for writing them down. Really. And I like what you make.

joshua said...

Tom there's something in this story that seems very real and eerie but not in a scary way. I don't know what I'm saying. Maybe that's the point of this comment. Wish I knew.

Xymyl said...

If I may be so bold... I think your real question should be "Why didn't I notice the guy again for two hole years?"

This happens to almost everyone all the time. They just don't notice, so it seems odd to them when they notice it.

Tell the story again and see what happens.