Monday, May 25, 2009

Vacation

I've enjoyed good weather these past few days. Jess and I are currently in Stow, MA visiting her parents. We visited New York City for a few days before we got here. Good times.

Although I much enjoy vacations like these, I feel as if I don't really absorb them. When I'm on vacation, it's like my job and normal routine cease to exist, but not in a comforting way. I don't recline and say "Awe, this feels so good, because I'm usually at work right now."

It's like work never existed. It doesn't even surprise me.

Then when I return to my job, it's as if my vacation was a dream.

What's the deal?

I think part(most) of the dissatisfaction arises from the fact that my idea of vacation is based on fantasy. This vacation ideology is probably just a mash-up of all the summer vacation films I saw in the '80s and early '90s.

The funniest part is that this has been a great vacation: I've spent time with friends and family that I missed greatly, spent hours in the sun, swam in a bay alone during a thunderstorm, recorded audio and video of bees, stayed in NYC for free, etc.

I take it for granted so easily. Then I over-think it and get myself down for it not feeling like the movies. What a bunch of bullshit.

Be careful not to compare your vacations (and life!) to the movies. It feels like a subtle influence, but it can run very deep in your ideas.

No comments: